Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sauce

So, I've been a little absent from the world of "Chasin' Cakes" for the last two weeks. But I intend to make it up to you with something very special! This my friends, is a recipe very near and dear to my heart. I remember asking my mom to make this for my birthday several times in place of a birthday cake. This is like comfort food to the max. The kind you curl up with in front of a big roaring fire - (or in my case, my fireplace screensaver.) And it's ridiculously easy to make. Don't be fooled by it's rather homely appearance. This is by far, one of my favorite desserts on the planet!!


So here's what you need to get started:

Brown sugar, butter, an egg, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, flour, white sugar, salt, and 3 apples.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 9'x 9' square baking pan.


Mix together 1 cup of packed brown sugar with 1/4 cup of butter that has been softened. 

Add in 1 egg and keep on mixing!

Then add the rest of your dry ingredients: 1 cups of flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix until it's just combined. 

 Now, peel core and chop up 3 medium sized apple. (I used macintosh, but you can really use any good baking apple). We have this handy-dandy peeler/slicer thing that looks like some sort of medieval torture device. But oh does it speed things up!

Chase is just dying for an apple bit to somehow miss the bowl.....

Add in 2 cups of the chopped apples the batter. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour into your greased baking dish and pop it into the oven for about 30 minutes. 


When it's out of the oven, start making the sauce. (My absolute favorite part!)


In a saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of butter, 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of milk, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Stir until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved. Easy as that!


Spoon some sauce over big slice of cake and enjoy!

~Megan

No comments: